What the Muslims Want:
This is the question asked most frequently by both the whites and the blacks. The answers to this
question I shall state as simply as possible.
- We want freedom. We want a full and complete freedom.
- We want justice. Equal Justice under the law. We want justice applied equally to all, regardless of
creed or class or color.
- We want equality of opportunity. We want equal membership in society with the best in civilized society
- We want our people in America whose parents or grandparents were decendants from slaves, to be allowed
to establish a separate state or territory of their own--either on this continent or elsewhere. We believe that our former
slave masters are obligated to provide such land and that the area must be fertile and minerally rich. We believe that our
former slave masters are obligated to maintain and supply our needs in this separate territory for the next 20 to 25
years--until we are able to produce and supply our own needs.
Since we cannot get along with them in peace and equality, after giving them 400 years of our sweat and blood and
receiving in return some of the worst treatment human beings have ever experienced, we believe our contributions to this
land and the suffering forced upon us by white America, justifies our demand for complete separation in a state or territory
of our own.
- We want freedom for all Believers of Islam now held in federal prisons. We want freedom for all black men
and women now under death sentence in innumerable prisons in the North as well as the south.
We want every black man and woman to have the freedom to accept or reject being separated from the slave master's children
and establish a land of their own.
We know that the above plan for the solution of the black and white conflict is the best and only answer to the problem
between two people.
- We want an immediate end to the police brutality and mob attacks against the so-called Negro throughout
the United States.
We believe that the Federal government should intercede to see that black men and women tried in white courts receive
justice in accordance with the laws of the land--or allow us to build a new nation for ourselves, dedicated to justice,
freedom and liberty.
- As long as we are not allowed to establish a state or territory of our own, we demand not only equal
justice under the laws of the United States, but equal employment opportunities--NOW!
We do not believe that after 400 years of free or nearly free labor, sweat and blood, which has helped America become rich
and powerful, that so many thousands of black people should have to subsist on relief, charity or live in poor houses.
- We want the government of the United States to exempt our people from ALL taxation as long as we are
deprived of equal justice under the laws of the land.
- We want equal education--but separate schools up to 16 for boys and 18 for girls on the condition that
the girls be sent to women's colleges and universities. We want all black children educated, taught and trained by their
Under such schooling system we believe we will make a better nation of people. The United States government should
provide, free, all necessary text books and equipment, schools and college buildings. The Muslim teachers shall be left
free to teach and train their people in the way of righteousness, decency and self respect.
- We believe that intermarriage of race mixing should be prohibited. We want the religion of Islam taught
without hindrance or suppression.
These are some of the things that we, the Muslims, want for our people in North America.